Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The media's fascination with Sarah Palin

Vanity Fair has the latest hit piece on Sarah Palin. The article states: Palin, keeping her distance from most domestic media as well, also declined to talk to V.F.

I can't imagine why.

And there's this: What does her prominence say about the importance of having (or lacking) a record of achievement in public life?

Isn't that what Republican's were asking about Obama during the campaign? I agree that Palin was lacking some fundamental knowledge, especially on foreign affairs, but she still had a thicker record of accomplishment than Obama did.

Needless to say, this article doesn't paint Palin in a flattering light and takes the usual popshots against her family. I don't understand the media's obsession with her or the need to report what seems to be a caricture of her.

One thing that leads me to be suspicious of the accuracy of the article and what it has to say is this passage:

By the time Election Day rolled around, the staff had been serially pummeled by unflattering press reports about the gaps in Palin’s knowledge, her stubborn resistance to direction, and the post-selection spending spree in which she ran up bills of $150,000 on clothes for herself and her family at high-end stores.

I believe Palin when she says she did not buy those clothes for herself. After she was selected as the nominee, she was followed around 24/7 by the press. If she had gone on these shopping sprees, we would have heard all about it as it was happening. Therefore, I tend to believe Palin when she says she didn't purchase those clothes.

I don't think she is a contender for President nor do I believe she will decide to run for national office again so I don't understand the media's continued obsession with her.

I would also like to point out that Joe Biden is the biggest baffon we have ever had as VP. I hope Obama takes care of himself. I would hate for something to happen to him and we end up with that jackass as President.

No comments: