Friday, July 24, 2009

Racist Cop story continues, just as we all expected

Update to the Professor who was arrested in his own home.

I hope your sitting down for this one, because it's a shocker. Everyone's gonna sue everyone in this situation. Professor Gates is going to sue the police department for racial profiling unless they do what he wants..and as best as I can tell, that means whitey needs to be fired.
Attorney Charles Ogletree said Gates might sue the department and would bring forward witnesses who say they've had similar experiences with Crowley. When asked for specific examples, Ogletree said only that they may come out in time depending on how the police department handles the situation moving forward.

In other words, he doesn't know of any situation where Officer Crowley has exhibited racist behavior nor does he know of anyone specific who has had a problem with Officer Crowley. However, given time he can find some people who will be willing to say they interacted with Officer Crowley and he is indeed a racist. And we should all believe what these people have to say.

Officer Crowley is considering suing Professor Gates for defamation.
Alan McDonald, who represents Sgt. James Crowley, said the veteran cop who teaches a racial profiling class for rookie police officers has not ruled out filing a defamation of character or libel lawsuit.

"He is exploring all of his options,'' McDonald told ABC News.

I'm glad to see cooler heads continue to prevail. And the President isn't helping the situation.

UPDATE: Obama kinda-sorta apologizes for calling police officer stupid.

Just hours after Cambridge police union officials called on Obama to apologize for saying the officers involved in the incident behaved "stupidly," Obama conceded that he erred in his "choice of words."

Obama said he spoke to James Crowley, the sergeant who arrested Gates, "and I have to tell you that, as I said yesterday, my impression of him is that he was an outstanding police officer...and that was confirmed in the phone conversation."

"In my choice of words, I unfortunately gave the impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sergeant Crowley specifically," Obama said, walking back his sharpest criticism.

But, the president said: "I continue to believe, based on what I have heard, that there was an overreaction in pulling Prof. Gates out of his home and to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I heard, that Prof. Gates probably overreacted as well."

No comments: